MNL Women’s Caucus
Municipalities Newfoundland and Labrador created a Women’s Caucus to focus on how we can encourage more women to take on leadership roles within the municipal sector and how to provide support once they are there. Our goal is to improve our programs while developing stronger supports for women in municipal leadership and administrative roles.
Women’s Leadership Summit Presentations
The 2nd Women’s Leadership Summit took place at the 2021 MNL Conference and Trade Show in Corner Brook on Nov. 3. With a theme of Connect Communicate Succeed, the Summit provided an opportunity for women in the municipal sector to share their experiences through discussion and presentations. The presentations are presented here as a resource and inspiration.
(above) Municipal and Provincial Affairs Minister Krista Lynn Howell joined the summit virtually.
(above) Federation of Canadian Municipalities President Joanne Vanderheyden’s presentation.
(above) MNL Director of Advocacy and Communications Dr. Deatra Walsh’s presentation.
Resources for Dr. Deatra Walsh’s presentation:
Ahmed, S. (2016). Living a feminist life. Duke University Press.
Bishu, S. G., & Heckler, N. (2021). Women and Men Municipal Managers Doing and Undoing Gender. Journal of Public Administration Research and Theory, 31(3), 489-505.
Doyle, G. (2020). Untamed. Random House Publishing Group.
Loreto, N. (2020). Take Back the Fight: Organizing Feminism for the Digital Age. Fernwood Publishing.
Lucas, J., Merrill, R., Blidook, K., Breux, S., Conrad, L., Eidelman, G., … & Vallette, S. (2021). Women’s Municipal Electoral Performance: An Introduction to the Canadian Municipal Elections Database. Canadian Journal of Political Science/Revue canadienne de science politique, 54(1), 125-133.
McGregor, H. Secret Feminist Agenda
Wagner, A. (2020). Tolerating the trolls? Gendered perceptions of online harassment of politicians in Canada. Feminist Media Studies, 1-16.
(above) Atlantic Storytellers founder Amy Stoodley’s presentation
Resources mentioned in Amy Stoodley’s presentation:
Research Paper: Women’s Empowerment in Digital Media: A Communication Paradigm
Other cool resources worth checking out are:
- FCM/Women in Local Government: Closing the gender gap in municipal governments.
- Increasing Women’s Participation in Municipal Decision-Making: Strategies for More Inclusive Canadian Communities
- Municipal Elections in Canada: a guide for women candidates: Thinking about running for municipal office? This guide provides tips and tools for campaigning and beyond.
- Diverse Voices: Tools and Practices to Support all Women: This toolkit explores how municipalities across Canada can work to reduce, and eventually eliminate, the leadership gap. Using examples from select municipalities, it provides resources and tools for local action to support women as leaders and agents of change.
- Equal Voice NL: Canada needs more women in politics. Now. It’s about fairness and the future of Canada.