Leadership Awards for Women and Gender Diverse Individuals in the Municipal Sector
The MNL Women’s Caucus is celebrating leadership in the municipal sector. MNL is currently accepting nominations to recognize women and gender diverse councillors in our sector who are making a difference in the community and inspiring other leaders. Two awards will be presented during the November 2 Leadership Summit for Women and Gender Diverse Individuals in the Municipal Sector. The two awards are as follows:
- Achievement Award: will be presented to an individual relatively new in their role as a municipal leader, but who has demonstrated guidance or management which led to specific actions and/or observable changes or accomplishments within their community;
- Inspiration Award: will be presented to an individual whose long-time dedication to local government has benefited the people of their community and has inspired others to step forward into leadership roles.
If you think your nominee demonstrates these criteria and that their contribution stands out from other people’s, please consider nominating them for one of our recognition awards. Nomination packages should include one (1) nomination letter and one (1) testimonial letter. Deadline for nominations is October 24, 2022.
How do I write a compelling nomination?
For your nomination to stand out against the many others we receive, you must explain and include evidence and clear examples of what makes your nominee so exceptional.
Don’t just say your nominee is outstanding – prove it!
It’s important to use specific and concrete examples to illustrate how your nominee meets each of the eligibility and award criteria. Provide examples of how your nominee has demonstrated outstanding character and is a deserving candidate for the honour or award.
Show how they have:
- encouraged and exemplified the virtue of good citizenship;
- touched or enriched the lives of others, particularly those within your community and/or region;
- shown ongoing initiative, leadership and dedication;
- earned the respect of their peers and become a role model in the municipal sector;
- demonstrated innovation or creativity in delivering lasting results.
A compelling nomination should also describe as vividly and precisely as possible the difference your nominee’s contribution has made and show why it has been important. Include details such as:
- how were things before the achievement;
- what knowledge your nominee had of the situation and what actions they choose to take;
- the scale of the achievement and whether it is completed or ongoing;
- the achievement’s sustainability and impact on the community or province and how it has enriched the lives of others;
- what made this an outstanding achievement – indicate any extraordinary circumstances or challenges the nominee faced (include statistics or historical background if applicable);
- what makes your nominee different from others doing the same thing?
The testimonial letter
In addition to the description of the achievement, we also require a testimonial letter from one individual (other than the nominator) who supports the nomination.
The testimonial letter should:
- be written by an individual who knows the nominee well enough to be able to talk about the impact of their achievement from first-hand experience;
- be current and written specifically for the honour or award for which you are nominating
- provide various examples and perspectives.
The testimonial letter should not:
- simply state that the author supports the nomination – they need to provide more information about the nominee and their achievement.
Keep it simple
Remember that longer doesn’t necessarily mean better. When presenting your nominee, keep your explanations clear and to the point while ensuring there is enough information for the selection panel to make their decision.
Ready to nominate?
We hope that you have found this guide useful. If you are now ready to nominate someone:
- Read the eligibility criteria and instructions carefully.
- Prepare in advance and give yourself (and your testimonial letter writers) lots of time to complete the nomination package before the deadline.
- Get your testimonial letter as well as any additional materials, if applicable.
- Submit your nomination package by emailing email@example.com before the October 24, 2022 deadline.
If you have any questions or require additional information, please contact us:
Director of Advocacy and Communications
Municipalities Newfoundland and Labrador